When tasked with the job of making presentable our class donation to the school auction, I didn't know what to do. Because the parents of Clover's class are donating fancy camping gadgets, I want to put everything into a big plastic tub that most people use to hold camping supplies, but putting a giant tub on a table isn't visually appealing. I headed out to the store hoping to find large stencils with an outdoors theme that I could use to paint the tubs with a plastic-adhering spray. I struck out at Michaels, but while there I decided to try decoupage.
I bought a small crate, Mod Podge and some foam brushes. I already had some lovely Amy Butler paper at home and using it for the class project helped me justify my impulsive paper purchase.
I dusted off the crate and cut the paper to size. I put a generous coat of Mod Podge on the crate, then put the paper in place. The next step - Mod Podging the top of the paper - made me nervous and overprotective of the paper.
I did it and it was fine. Once it dried, it was better than fine. I put three thin coats on top of the paper, letting it dry 15 minutes between coats, and once the final coat had dried, voilà:
If I wanted to keep this project long term, I would have applied two or three more coats and maybe an acrylic sealer on top. The paper is solidly adhered to the crate. I tried to peel it back as a test and it stayed firmly attached. To be honest, my goal was to make something that looked good on auction night and held up...long enough.
I still plan on getting a plastic tub and possibly spray painting it if I can find stencils, but at least the pretty crate will be in front holding some of the smaller items.
It was so easy and really satisfying. Now I'm looking around for excuses to decoupage more.