I came across directions to make a really inexpensive and very cute Yoda hat about a month ago, but I forgot about it for a few days until I saw some pink fleece at craft group and thought that I could modify the yoda hat to make a pig (or even a puppy with brown fleece and some ear adjustments). Once I said this out loud, there was no turning back, especially since green fleece was thrust at me before I could change my mind.
I'd never sewn with fleece before and while it can be very forgiving, it can also be a pain in the ass. Especially when trying to line up the seams for the ears, top and lower parts of the hat all together. I made a few hats and I wasn't always successful in getting everything lined up just right, but they turned out well enough to impress my kids, which is pretty much always my goal.
This may not be the best season for a pig hat, with the swine flu running rampant, but hopefully pig p.r. people can do some damage control and turn this thing around. Until then, this hat could also double as a scarlet A of sorts for those who've gotten the swine flu.
Two tips for anyone thinking about the hats: 1. using needles for stretch fabric helped a lot; and 2. increasing the stitch length a bit helped as well.
I've also learned two other things during this project: 1. to keep my thoughts about potential future projects to myself or else I will be peer pressured into action by my friends; and 2. Rocket is an uncooperative hat model. He kept throwing up his arms at the second before I'd snap a picture, then yell, "I ruined your picture! HA HA HA HA!" Yeah, really funny kid.